NZWG Huddles: Virtual Reader Groups
Goal: to provide members with an opportunity to develop both their scripts and their script assessment skills by critiquing each others work in a secure and supportive forum.
Huddle: – In sport, a huddle is when a team gathers together, usually in a tight circle, to strategise, motivate or celebrate. It is a popular strategy for keeping opponents insulated from sensitive information. Similarly after an event a huddle may take place to congratulate one another for the teams success, or to commiserate a defeat. The term “huddle” can be used as a verb as in “huddling up”. (thanks Wikipedia)
By the very nature of the work, writers spend most of their working time in isolation. This is often exacerbated by geographical location and the awful intrusion of the dreaded day-job.
To counter this over the next few weeks the NZWG will be setting up virtual writer groups. Through these, participants will be able to safely and securely provide each other with: positive feedback on each others’ scripts, support and encouragement, and share in successes.
If you would like to participate in this please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “NZWG Huddle” in the subject line.
- NZWG members who wish to join a group email the NZWG with a brief bio stating their preferred genre, format (tv, film, theatre etc) and rough level of experience. The NZWG will then match up groups of 5 or 6 writers.
- An introduction email will be sent out by the NZWG to each member of a huddle along with the email addresses of the other members, and an assessment template that members can use for providing their feedback should they so wish.
- Each member can then send out either full scripts or pages to the other members of the group, cc’ing this email to the NZWG.
- Members of the group email their feedback to the sender and/or all of the group. The original sender can state that they wish feedback to come to only them or to the group.
- The frequency of script exchanging is entirely up to the members of the group. The only expectation is that if you have submitted a script to the group for feedback then you will provide feedback on the scripts of others.
- The participants acknowledge that these virtual writer groups are intended to provide safe, positive discussion and script feedback to all participants.
- All shared scripts, all information relating to shared scripts and all group correspondence is to be treated as confidential, as is all feedback. Any breach of confidentiality will result in expulsion from the group. Any breach of copyright will result in expulsion from the group and from the NZWG and possible legal action.
- All correspondence, including scripts sent and feedback returned will be cc’d to the NZWG for the monitoring of the service and the protection of all participants only. Scripts and feedback will not be read by any employee of the NZWG or distributed in any way whatsoever. Staff of the NZWG will only access material in the case of a complaint.
- All participants acknowledge that on occasion even the best intended constructive criticism can be hard to receive in good grace. All parties will endeavour to give and receive feedback with care. The parties acknowledge that it is the role of the NZWG to resolve any serious complaints or disputes.
- All parties in each group will not abuse the email addresses of other members of their group. All correspondence sent will be relevant. No spam, no soliciting for business, no pictures of fluffy kittens.
- Ultimately it is up to the members of each huddle to use this opportunity as best suits them. The NZWG will endeavour to provide what support and further training it can.